Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing used hot water heater for later use

Posted by fenston (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 11:04

Have an instant hot water heater that I will bring to my new place. It may sit a few months before I get it back online.

I plan to drain the water out of it before it sits. Is there anything else that is recommended be done before it just sits? I was thinking rust would become a bigger problem with just air inside vs water and an anode rod protecting. Anyhow, any tips appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing used hot water heater for later use

fenston -

You may want to try the website, that I provided to the folks on the forum, as there are a couple of gentlemen, that started the website, that are very knowledgeable about all types of water heaters and their upkeep.

There is a forum which provides all kinds of useful info.

Good luck!

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com

o

Thanks ... I bought from them and they are great guys (have their powered anode rod) ... guess I started asking questions here but should have gone direct to the experts in this area! Thanks.

o

"I was thinking rust would become a bigger problem with just air inside vs water and an anode rod protecting. "

If this was true the water would tear the thing apart in short order.

o

You can't sell a home without a water heater so you might as well leave it alone.

o

This is a 6 gallon instant hot water heater. Not the main which would stay with the home. I was advised just to drain it dry best I could and leave it at that.

o

The problem with draining it dry is not only will it rust much faster all the sediments inside will dry brick hard.

I would do the same as they do when preparing a commercial boiler for long term storage. I would put it in "Wet Layup"

To put a water heater in wet layup you begin by draining the tank and flushing as much sediment as you can, then close the drain valve and refill the tank with fresh water.

Instead of just cutting the lines on top, remove both the hot and cold water lines then make sure the water heater is filled right up to the hot & cold taps then install a pair of pipe plugs in the taps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here