Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happycthulhu

Connecting PVC to Orangeburg?

happycthulhu
18 years ago

I just spent the last 2 days digging, by hand, a 12 foot trench to get all the roots out of my main sewer line.

Now I have to repair the section that I took out.

What would be the best way to tightly seal PVC to Orangeburg?

Comments (11)

• shacko
    18 years ago

Fernco or Mission coupling, you need the outside dia. and inside dia. of both pipes. Most big box stores carry them, but if not go to a plumbing supply house. Keep in mind that the root prob. will come back in any Orangeburg that remains. Luck.

• happycthulhu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just wanted to share a little knowledge with the group.
    The best way to connect PVC to Orangeburg or clay sewer tile pipe is an epoxy putty found in the plumbing dept.
    You squish this stuff like playdoh into the female end of the orangeburg and push your PVC into that and it hardens up in about 15 minutes.
    I also found out how to reseal orangeburg to orangeburg.
    I met an old man in the plumbing dept at Home Depot. He is at least as old as my house. He told me that the best way to reseal orangeburg joints is to pour a bag of quickcrete on top and just bury it. Shocked
    Said that roots would have a devil of a time getting through 3 inches of concrete.
    Needless to say, we are finished with this project and are now getting ready to sit on our butts for the rest of the weekend.

• plumberboy
    18 years ago

Both of these items probably work great; but neither are an "approved" application.

• manhattan42
    18 years ago

"but neither are an "approved" application"

Neither is putting a "brick, big rock or block" under a sewer pipe....:)

• happycthulhu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, since this old guy was a retired plumber, I'll take his word over other opinions.
    He told me that he has replaced more orangeburg than you could shake a stick at.
    He also told me that city inspectors approved of the quickcrete method.
    All I really care about is that my plumbing is clean and the roots shouldn't ever be a problem again.

• rolson
    17 years ago

I'm having plumbing issues and have reason to believe that the line from my house to the street is made of Orangeburg (the downspouts dropped into Orangeburg pipe which then fed into cast iron under the house). Other than diggin up my recently finished landscaping and possibly the entire front yard, are there other methods to "replace" the pipe. I believe there is some method in which they run a tube inside the pipe and then expand it. Is this expensive and a permanent solution?

Four months ago I hand-snaked the line out 25 feet, which seemed to remove the clog. However, it back up again, so I power-snaked it (90ft) out to the city's main line. I will be only running clean water through the pipes, and if it backs up again, I will know I have a serious problem. At that time, I will most likely have a camera run down the line before digging, etc.

I guess I am anticipating the worst and looking for possible solutions when the time comes.

Thanks in advance for any info.

• djlandkpl
    17 years ago

This Old House from this season has an episode where they relined the existing sewer pipe. It's program #2605.

• jkradford
    9 years ago

I ran into an issue with my septic system where the T had broken off inside of the Septic tank and the sewage had backed up. After digging to the septic tank and uncovering the nearby distribution Box I found that the Orangeburg pipe coming from the tank to the box was badly clogged by hard stuff and the Box was rusting away but the line out of the box to the Dry well was OK I also found the pipe that had been disconnected years ago to another dry well and I reconnected that one as well. The biggest problem I had was finding something to use as a coupling to connect the Orangeburg to the PVC. What I finally found was that there is a Fernco fitting used for drains like gutter systems use that worked very well. The Fernco Part number was 1070-44. I had to modify this piece by cutting of a lip on the inner part where it was to connect to the Orangeburg but then it fit perfectly. After the connections were made and the new pipe and T installed I concreted over the Ferco fittings which should insure at least 50 years of life out of them and is accepted for sewer system repairs nationwide

• jeremy vaughan
    2 years ago

Found pressed into an orangeburg and p.v.c glued into has anyone seen this before or know what this fitting is called for future connections.

• HU-101074834
    last year

How about a heavy duty rubber boot w/ clamps to connect pvc to orangeburg pipe???

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH