Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fluidmaster Mark IV - repair or replace with 400A's

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 10:44

I'm dealing with a couple 4 yr old Toto's that have Fluidmaster Mark IV fill valves that are spraying out the top up to the tank lid and out. Is there a repair method you can explain for this ballcock type, or should I just replace the fill valves? Also, would 400A fill valves be better, or is there a reason they don't have 400A's to begin with?

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
more info

I meant to say the water is spraying out the grooves on the wide plastic rim (not the piston itself). Thanks again.

o
1b1 master

Turns out it's a 1B1 Master by Coast. I think I got it figured out (pull up red tab, then unscrew top, etc....)

o
RE: Fluidmaster Mark IV - repair or replace with 400A's

I would be inclined to just replace them.

400As are only around $10 each.

Not worth hassling with off brands or trying to even find the parts.

o

Agreed, and that's what I'm going to do.

But since Toto's are supposed to be so wonderfully amazing, I wonder if there was supposed to be some advantage to this thing.

o

Fill valves have relatively little to do with flushing performance.

They only start to operate as the water level falls.

Getting the water from tank to bowl is what determine flushing performance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here