Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expansion Tank Location

Posted by WoodTurning1 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 10:42

I have a 50gal hot water heater and a brand new PRV between the house and the street. The pressure in the system (when checked at a hose bibb in the laundry room) goes from 45psi to 135psi while the hot water heater heats the water. I have been told to install an expansion tank in the system.

My problem is that the room is very small and there is not enough space to install the tank on the infeed (cold) side of the hot water heater.

Is it OK to install the expansion tank on another cold water line in the house where there is adequate room?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expansion Tank Location

how about installing on the hot side?

o

Not on the hot side... bladder inside and plastic liner won't like it but on the cold side other than proximate to the cold supply to the WH is OK if you have to and doesn't violate local code.

o

It should not be connected on the hot water side as Justalurker previously mentioned, however it must be connected between the water heater cold water shutoff valve and the water heater to insure it could absorb expansion in the event that valve were closed.

On the other hand, if that valve were closed the entire hot water system is then a closed system. Understanding that pressure is equal to all parts of a closed system, you can install a tee between the W.H. cold water shutoff valve and the W.H. then run a line to any convenient location for the expansion tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here