Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how much $ to give buyer for broken sump

Posted by erinb007 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 10:26

Hi, The only thing that came up in the inspection on my house is a broken sump pump in the crawl. There is no basement to the house, just the crawl. What would be a reasonable amount of money to credit the homeowner to install a new one. It hasn't been working for 1.5 years and there has never been moisture down there. House is not prone to having water accumluate around it.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how much $ to give buyer for broken sump

Call a couple of plumbers in your area and ask --

o

You don't need a plumber.

If the existing sump pump is installed per code there should be a union, a check valve and a manual gate valve on the riser from the pump. On most installations the union is simply a Fernco coupling.

Code requires a service disconnect on the electrical service line to the pump, which is usually satisfied by installing an outlet near the pump and the pump is simply plugged into the outlet.

I would go to the nearest hardware store and buy the cheapest sump pump they have.

You can then unplug the existing pump and unscrew the discharge pipe from that pump. Now screw the discharge pipe into the new pump, set the pump in the pit and connect the lines with the fernco.

Plug the new pump in and your done.

Total cost about $75 for the pump and 20 minutes of you time. In a worst case you can hire a local handyman to install it for about $25.

I certainly wouldn't want to get into the set back money routine with the realtors and lawyers on this one.

o

lazy-great advice. That is what I was looking for. I agree, no need to get a plumber involved.

o

Sure, but if you don't want to mess with it, just offer them a credit for $125 or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here