Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
xpost Got plumbing est. Can it be right?

Posted by judithn (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 9:19

Hi! I'm getting ready for a master bath remodel. We have a 10 year old house w/a contractor grade oak double vanity, cultured marble top, big soaking tub, 36x36 stall shower, small linen closet, and a little bit of a mold problem due to bad ventilation. That's why the shower pan's coming out.

The contractor who is hiring the plumbing just sent me an estimate. He says it costs $2550.00 to do the following:

New shut off valves for toilets and sinks.
New drains for sinks.
New shower pan
New shower diverter
New faucet for tub.
Price for labor only.

Here's what you should know:

The shower walls, platform around the tub, and floor are being retiled. We are yanking out old vanity/sinks/faucets and upgrading for better storage.

If the plumbing for the double sinks in the vanity are moved, they are moving only like 6" to the right or left. Odds are only ONE connection will need to be moved, if at all.

I am not changing the plumbing in the shower (well, I will get a new escutcheon plate and shower head but that's not touching what's inside the wall). Do I need a new shower diverter?

Do I need new shut off valves? Forgive my stupidity, but those are the handles near the wall, right? I have them already. They're kinda dirty, but do I need to replace them? If it's an aesthetic reason, I can see replacing the one under the toilet since that's visible. But the ones under the double sinks are inside a vanity cabinet.

Oh, not sure whether I'm getting a new toilet or not. The one I have is fine but it seems like if they're gonna have to remove it to install tile then replace it, I might as well get a new one (the one we have is easily clogged).

To me, $2550 seems kinda high but I don't know how much work is really involved in this stuff. What do you all think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: xpost Got plumbing est. Can it be right?

I know it's like comparing apples and oranges, but still. We gutted the upstairs bath and had the plumbing contractor change the pipes to accommodate a 4' walk in shower , replace the sink drain and supply , drain and replace the hot water rad with new and repair a leaking valve on another upstairs rad. He installed the shower, sink and toilet and refilled the heating system . Except for the 2' baseboard rad and some new packing for the leaky valve, his $ 2000 bill was all labor. This was in line with the other 3 quotes I had from other companies.

o
RE: xpost Got plumbing est. Can it be right?

The only thing on your list that would entail much labor is the new shower pan. If I understand correctly, you are re-doing the tile in a shower and he's going to rip up the floor and put in a new pan. My brother is a tile contractor and he gets about $1200 to do just that one repair.

Much of the rest is DIY if you want to tackle some weekend projects.....but learn how to do it, first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here