Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

xpost Got plumbing est. Can it be right?

judithn
14 years ago

Hi! I'm getting ready for a master bath remodel. We have a 10 year old house w/a contractor grade oak double vanity, cultured marble top, big soaking tub, 36x36 stall shower, small linen closet, and a little bit of a mold problem due to bad ventilation. That's why the shower pan's coming out.

The contractor who is hiring the plumbing just sent me an estimate. He says it costs $2550.00 to do the following:

New shut off valves for toilets and sinks.

New drains for sinks.

New shower pan

New shower diverter

New faucet for tub.

Price for labor only.

Here's what you should know:

The shower walls, platform around the tub, and floor are being retiled. We are yanking out old vanity/sinks/faucets and upgrading for better storage.

If the plumbing for the double sinks in the vanity are moved, they are moving only like 6" to the right or left. Odds are only ONE connection will need to be moved, if at all.

I am not changing the plumbing in the shower (well, I will get a new escutcheon plate and shower head but that's not touching what's inside the wall). Do I need a new shower diverter?

Do I need new shut off valves? Forgive my stupidity, but those are the handles near the wall, right? I have them already. They're kinda dirty, but do I need to replace them? If it's an aesthetic reason, I can see replacing the one under the toilet since that's visible. But the ones under the double sinks are inside a vanity cabinet.

Oh, not sure whether I'm getting a new toilet or not. The one I have is fine but it seems like if they're gonna have to remove it to install tile then replace it, I might as well get a new one (the one we have is easily clogged).

To me, $2550 seems kinda high but I don't know how much work is really involved in this stuff. What do you all think?

Comments (2)