Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
well head parts ID - please help

Posted by thomis (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 9:14

I haven't had to mess with my well much since I've owned my home, aside from having the water sampled. I took some pics of the well head. I don't know what is what and I'd like to know in case something does happen and I need to work on it. Can someone please identify what pipe is what, etc.?

photo DSC_0213_resize-1_zpscb1dd735.jpg

photo DSC_0216_resize_zps883a2311.jpg

photo DSC_0215_resize-1_zps4a1e238f.jpg

photo DSC_0214_resize-1_zps764b4ab3.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: well head parts ID - please help

It might be helpful if you included a picture of the pump.

o

Hi, the pump (a Gould jet pump) is about 20 feet away under the house in the crawlspace.

o

What are those elbows sizes coming out of the well 3/4" and 1/2"?

o

It appears you have a double-drop jet pump system. The smaller line should be the pressure line coming from your pump. The larger line should be the suction line going to your pump. There should be an ejector down inside your well casing, at the bottom.

In simplistic terms: The pump will force water down through the smaller pipe, through a venturi at the bottom of the well and up through the larger pipe. The venturi will create a suction which draws more water into the larger pipe and back up to the pump for distribution through your home.

o

Great, thanks for the info!

o

The pipes hanging in the well appear to be polyethylene- a really good choice for that purpose. The metal top with the bolt heads is called a well seal. The short pipe up with cap is a vent-- to admit air as water is drawn from the well and to let air out as the well refills. The cap has small holes in the side or at the bottom so that air can move through them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here