Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to add second drain pipe to second floor?

Posted by EngineerChic (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 8:27

We are mid-remodel. The house originally had 1 full bath on the 1st floor and 1 full bath on the 2nd. We are adding a second bath upstairs, and the 2 upstairs baths will share a wet wall ( the toilets are back to back against that wall).

The plumber says we may need to drop another drain line ... And I'm worried because I can't figure out WHERE that can be placed without tearing up the kitchen.

So, 2 questions...
1). Can 3 full baths share 1 cast iron drain (house was built in 1960's)?
2). If not, can a drain pipe run horizontally and cut through floor joists? I think that would require extra support for those floor joists somehow.

I do trust the GC but I'm also thinking that I want the best looking/functioning solution that minimizes the amount of demo to the first floor. And now I'm concerned about how that will be achieved.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to add second drain pipe to second floor?

If you need another stack, put it in the same wall as the present stack if possible.

Running a 3 inch (let alone a 4 inch) line perpendicular to joists is a real PITA, and depending on the joist size may not even be possible.

o

Thanks, I thought the joists would be a problem. I think if we flip the fixtures (swapping tub/linen closet with toilet/vanity) I can get the new drain stack to drop through a closet on the first floor. I'll see what the GC and plumber say about it.

Anything to prevent a waste stack from becoming a stylish addition to the kitchen, right?

o

This question cannot be properly answered with the limited information available. Whether or not you need another stack is dependant upon how the bathroom on the first floor is vented.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here