Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help relocating washer and dryer

Posted by bobbie46 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 8:22

I am installing a washer, dryer and small sink on a porch I am having enclosed. There is an existing wall which is covered with siding which will be behind the units. How much space will the plumber need behind the washer and in front of the siding wall to put in the drain, vent and water line? Space is critical. The washing machine measures 28" front to back. If I allow 3", will that be sufficient? I understand the pipes will be exposed but I am hopeful it can be done without being terribly unsightly. Thanks for helping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help relocating washer and dryer

It may depend on what obstructions the plumber encounters underneath the floor when getting the drain, exhaust and supply lines close to the wall.
Is putting the drain off to one side an option for you?
The exhaust pipe for the dryer will need 4 inches, though you can check to see if yours can be modified to have it come out the side. I wouldn't go smaller as it would decrease the efficiency of the dryer.

o
RE: Help relocating washer and dryer

hot & cold supply lines and electric power will fit "anywhere".
drain and duct are more difficult to fit in space.
drain:
washer can drain to tub, or standpipe. 2" diam standpipe, height about equal to washer lid height, so cannot fit under tub or sink. http://www.google.com/search?q=standpipe+washer+~prevent+height+siphoning (modern 2" standpipe should never fill, so you'd never get siphoning. So minimum standpipe height must keep outlet of the "hooked" rubber drainhose higher than washer max fill level)
duct:
As randy427 mentions, many (all?) dryers have optional duct knockout at bottom rear of side. This saves space against the back wall. Knockout may be on only one side. I've never used this, just seen the knockout. https://www.google.com/images?q=duct+side+knockout+dryer

dryer door and washer door: left hand, right hand opening, or door "flippable"?

If washer and dryer doors open to face each other, i think first layout is best.

layouts:
1. Washer in center. Washer supply under sink, washer drains into sink (tub, actually?) OR washer drains into standpipe, which might be next to sink. To keep washer close to wall, supply shutoffs can be above washer panel, under sink, or between sink and washer.
Dryer next to porch wall, so duct short and "straight" as possible.
Sink inboard. supply and drain all through floor under sink.

2. Dryer in center. duct passes under tub/sink to porch wall.
Washer inboard. needs own standpipe for sure. if behind washer, standpipe needs about 3" space behind washer. But as with with randy427 reply, there may be wood under edge of porch floor against the siding wall: "blocking" or "ledger" https://www.google.com/images?q=floor+:+deck+ledger+2x6:+2x8

3. Dryer in center. duct through platform for washer, platform about 5" tall.
Washer against porch wall. standpipe behind or to side.
Sink "inboard".

4. Sink in center?
Annoying. You need to "carry" wet wash to dryer across width of sink/tub.

sketch layouts to check.

no freezing risk in or under porch?
washer water is "graywater", so um, the drain is connecting to home drain system ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here