Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LP gas insert to be used as log lighter in fire pit. Is it legal?

Posted by buzz2 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 6:37

Hello,

I am going to have a wood-burning fire pit when they install my paver patio next month. I thought I would like to have a log lighter, which I could fuel with liquid propane that I already have on site.

However, after researching it, it seems that log lighters are/may be illegal here in Massachusetts, I believe because they don't have a pilot light and there is potential for explosion if there is a leak.

First, is it true that log lighters are illegal in Massachusetts, if anyone out there can confirm?

Second, and more importantly, assuming log lighters are illegal, could I have a LP gas insert (like that used for a true LP gas firepit) installed in the fire pit and used as a log lighter? I presume that LP gas firepits are legal, whereas log lighters are not, because the LP gas inserts have a pilot light. Is this correct?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LP gas insert to be used as log lighter in fire pit. Is it le

I would think that the log lighter could be used in an outdoor fire pit, just not in an indoor application. After all, how would it be more hazardous than a LP fired grill?

o
RE: LP gas insert to be used as log lighter in fire pit. Is it le

Ask your AHJ.

Rules in MA are set by the towns and are all over the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here