Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace a working, old water heater?

Posted by mrpandy (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 3:26

My electric water heater (AO Smith) is original to the house, which was built in 1987. It works fine and I have never done anything to it execept drain it twice (to move it).

Since it is 24 years old, should I replace it now to avoid an emergency repair that is probably coming?

I will be replacing it with just a standard, no frills electric like the GEs at Home Depot. Are the new water heaters that much more efficient that I would notice the difference in my electric bill?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace a working, old water heater?

"If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Electric water heaters have the same efficiency as they always did; the difference in modern heaters is better insulation to reduce standby loss. All things considered, your utility bill probably won't change much.

Were I you, I would pull the anode and make a determination from its remainder what life may be left. Sounds like your water is ideal.

If you haven't updated the inlet/outlet piping to prevent heat loss, doing so will yield savings with any heater.

o

My heater is 26 years old (electric). I am in the process of replacing it with a Rheem Marathon. I chose to do it on my schedule. ...not Christmas Eve which is when mine will fail.

o

How much damage will result when the tank rusts through and leaks?

It is on borrowed time, but if it is in an unfinished basement I would leave it but check it over VERY carefully at least once a month looking for leaks.

You may get a slightly better price on install if it is not an emergency also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here