Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thecause16

Finding PVC drainage pipe underground?

thecause16
16 years ago

I've run into a problem with a pipe. The PVC pipe that water runoff from my roof on one side of the house drains into, is not flowing properly. Before I bought this house, some of the lot had settled in the back which I suspect has caused this problem. It flows, but is very slow, slow enough under heavy rain to cause a backup in the pipe. This pipe also runs underground under my concrete driveway immediately after it enters the ground. From that point onward, I don't know where it goes. I first assumed it went straight back, just judging by the first elbow as it went underground. I was proven wrong after finding the other end up the pipe today approximately 25 feet to one side of where I suspected it exited the ground. This means it enters the ground goes straight back for some distance, then angles to the right, and straightens back out again.

All I want to do is find the pipe in front of the break, and completely run new pipe from that point on.

Anyone have any good methods for locating such a pipe? Ive heard about acoustic methods, but it seems a little far fetched. My only other option is to dig up the entire perimeter of the driveway until I find it, but even then I do not know how deep it will be at any given time.

Comments (3)