Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Worth it to drain/flush the water heater?

Posted by lostinit (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 11, 11 at 23:18

Does it really extend the life of your water heater if you flush it annually? I have heard the opposite from people who do not do this and say their water heaters have lasted 20 years or more. Is it simply poor water heater design in recent years that requires this type of maintenance?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Worth it to drain/flush the water heater?

Everyone's situation is different. Difficult to quantify for your particular situation. It has less to do with water heater design per se than it does with individual situations.

But, to answer your question, yes. It will extend the life of any water heater. How much? Depends....on factors that you will not be able to determine. However, if you think you should expect 20 years out your residential water heater -- any mfgr's residential water heater -- I suggest you make a mental adjustment.

I flush mine twice a year. They go bad anyway, in due course. More important IMHO is making sure there's a place for the leaking water to go when it does go bad. They all fail the same way -- they leak. If you're on a slab like I am, you'd better be sure there's a safe, no-damage pan and drain-path underneath the unit.

o

I think a lot depends upon water quality and chemistry. I've lived in houses where the water was pretty nasty and the heaters only made it 5-7 years. My current heater (with very good water) is 23 years old. I've never flushed a water heater, but I know that it is recommended.

o

"I think a lot depends upon water quality and chemistry."

Um...well, yes...like almost all of it.

And this user is supposed to objectively/quantitatively determine the service-life of his personal water-heater exactly how based on this? Somewhere between 5 and 23 apparently?

Repeating the last line in my own response: "More important IMHO is making sure there's a place for the leaking water to go when it does go bad. They all fail the same way -- they leak."

Ignore at you peril.

o

lostinit: yes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here