Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splicing into homes main line...

Posted by mlo1 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 22:52

Home has a 1" black poly pipe mainline entering the crawl-space. It has a coupler connecting it to the homes copper plumbing. I am wanting to splice into the poly pipe with a brass "T" and some quality stainless hose clamps. This is to allow another 3/4" poly pipe to be run under a garage slab (before poured) to add a hose bib.

I would certainly want this connection to meet the scrutiny of proffesional plumbers and not be problematic in the future. Does a clamped brass "T" pass the smell test?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splicing into homes main line...

I do not like poly pipe....install a 1 1/2" pvc sleeve under the driveway..that way if the pipe ever fails all ya gotta do is slide another thru
1" clamps box of 100 19.30 stainless steel crimp clamp
ez flare flezable pipe flare and crimping tool 32.75
poly tee..7.00
3/4 poly pipe .35 ft

o

As long as the connection remains accessible, smells good to me. Isolation valve(s) are usually a good idea.

o

frodo...are you proposing using crimps vs. clamps?

The path is a very gentle sweep. If one took the time to sift the dirt above and below the pipe of all rocks what else do you see causing failures?

Thanks gentlemen.

o

The correct fittings and method to use would depend on whether the pipe is IPS or CTS. They do not interchange, and codes/applications require specific fittings

o

I one managed a mobile home community with over 400 sites,
all the supply (service)lines were black polyethelene lines about 25 years old. We were digging up and repairing
or replacing on average 3 a month because of leaks and there is just no real suitable repair method. I would consider copper, pvc and or pex. The cost of the latter two is very low and comparable to poly. Just my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here