Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make potassium softened water taste better

Posted by pumpkineater59 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 22:06

About a year ago I installed a water softener after getting lots of god advice here. Since then the whole family is happy about the softer water and calcium deposits getting removed. Thanks for all the help.

However, DW and kids thinks the water tastes funny. I can agree that there is a small difference after the potassium water softener was installed, though I don't have a problem with the taste. To please the rest of the family, what can I do to improve the taste? Our goal is to improve the water taste and not for health reasons.

Can a filter help or is reverse osmosis the only option?
Thanks.

/Peter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make potassium softened water taste better

Some people have more discriminating palettes than others. Softened water will taste different than hard water due to the sodium or potassium ions exchanged in the softening process. The higher the hardness the more sodium or potassium is exchanged into the hard water to soften it and the more the taste is effected.

Many people install RO units under the kitchen sink for drinking and cooking water and many also plumb the RO to provide water to the fridge for ice cubes or the water in the door if you have that feature.

Some people install a "taste" (carbon) filter under the sink and are happy with that. This type of filter will make the water taster better(?) or different.

Looking back at your softener sizing thread and your water conditions... PH is a little high and iron and manganese. High PH will effect taste. Have you been using Iron Out or a similar product? IMO an RO is a better choice than a filter.

Have you been checking to see that the water holds 0 hardness all the way to regeneration?

o

I have not rechecked the hardness of the water. We are happy with the result so far (without checking actual numbers). The scaling is gone, which was the main reason for the softener.

We have not used Iron Out or any other products.

In case we go the filter route, are there any preferred filters? Same question for the RO route. Any preferred ROs? I believe I've read older threads that talks favorably of the Watts RO. is that still a good choice.
Thanks.

/Peter

o

Watts Premier ROs are good bang for the buck and they are carried by Costco and Sam's Club at good prices. They make under sink filters too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here