Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On demand hot water for whirlpool tub?

Posted by jscozz (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 1, 11 at 21:45

I have a high efficiency Polaris 50 gal water heater in my basement. Does very nicely for entire house, even with a lot of showers going. But, when I want to fill our over sized soaking whirlpool tub on the second floor it does not even fill to the jets before the hot water is out.

I am looking for a tankless, electric, on-demand hot water heater that is small enough for me to mount under the whirlpool tub deck and put in line with the hot water to help give it a boost so the tub can be filled and hot.

Are there any that are meant for a single use tub boost like this? If is, what is the best one out that that will mount under a tub deck in limited vertical space?

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On demand hot water for whirlpool tub?

What is the temperature setting of the 50 gallon unit? If 120 degrees and the tub holds 80 gallons or more, that explains the problem. Water cools even while a large tub is filling. Adjusting the heater to the highest setting results in the water having much more stored heat, permitting the addition of some cold to fill the tub quickly to satisfactory level and temperature. The on-demand heaters frequently have flow rate and temperature limitations that result in very unsatisfactory operation for filling large tubs. I know of one case where a separate storage heater for the tub was necessary. Since it was not used every day, they turned on the heater about 2 hours in advance only when the tub was expected to be used.

o

To put it another way, first determine the gallonage capacity of the tub. Then decide on a temperature for the water in the tub. Add at least 10 degrees to that temperature. Using the final temperature figure and the gallons capacity, calculate the BTU content of that much water at that temperature. In the case above, the extra heater added had to be in a crawl space with limited height. We found a 30 gallon model that would fit and it also had the required BTU stored if set at 140 deg.

o

The space constraints are the least of your worries.

Do you already have a huge 220V wire under there on a dedicated circuit AND the capacity in your panel/ service to handle the huge load an on demand will place on it?

Would probably be easier / cheaper to get a second heater + timer to turn it on a bath time and fill the or really crank up the temp on your current heater and get a tempering valve for the whole house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here