Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
installing a 3/4" RPZ on a washing-machine line

Posted by talley_sue_nyc (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 21:29

I live in a 10-unit cooperative apt. bldg in NYC; we are self-managed, and every apartment has a director on the board.

There was a recent requirement by NYC to install backflow inhibitors on buildings our size. We were able to get a double check valve (DCV) instead of the more elaborate & expensive RPZ (reduced pressure zone) device.

One of the issues that has come up is whether you have coin-op washing machines, and how many, etc., etc., and one of the possible solutions is to install separate 3/4" RPZ (reduced pressure zone) devices on the washing machine's water line itself.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to install those, and how convoluted it is?

On Amazon.com, I saw 3/4" rpz's for $50, and $170, and $270. I don't know which are appropriate for a single washing machine, and I don't know how much it would cost to install.
Does anybody have any ballpark guesses?

And the building-rated RPZ would have involved building some sort of drain, since the RPZ sends the excess backflowing water out of the device and into a drain.
Do the little ones need that draining capacity? How hard is it to install? Of course there is a drain line nearby, since it would go on the water line close to the machine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: installing a 3/4" RPZ on a washing-machine line

Can't speak for NY, but in Illinois, RPZs must be tested and certified yearly by a trained-certified-and-licensed-to-test-and-certify-RPZs plumber. Seems to be something to avoid unless required by code.

o

Wow. Even a small one on a single-unit line? (not a building-wide one)
What about the ones that are in the washing machine? The commercial-grade machines we currently rent have an internal RPZ.

o

Can't say. You'd be best to call in a plumber for a quote. He would know what the code requires. My basic understanding for Illinois is that they are required for irrigation systems, fire sprinkler systems and boilers above a certain size. My town required an RPZ installation on my lawn sprinkler system a few years back. I've got hot water heat (single family home) and no requirement for RPZ - yet - but the town did send out a mandatory survey with the water bill where you had to indicate if you had a boiler, so it's probably coming in the near future.

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 22:10

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here