Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water heater tank in closet

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 21:10

As part of my remodel, the spot where my tank water heater was is gone, so I'm trying to find it a new home.

One possibility, if legal, is to make it a closet, which would have a door either to a hallway or to the kitchen. I'd like the make the closet as small as practical, so as not to use a lot of space. This is a single story house, built over a crawl space.

Does this meet current code and good practice? I can put an intake vent to the crawl space if that is a good idea. I'm assuming that the closet door should seal pretty well.

How much clearance will I need on the sides, back, and front, to make install/removal easy to do?

thanks,
Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water heater tank in closet

Electric is no big deal. Gas is whole different thing -- cannot go in sealed space. What do you have?

o

Gas. Obviously it cannot be sealed, but can the intake
come from the crawl space, or how?

o

A louvered door would provide for intake, as would a grille that covers a cut-out in the door. (12" x 12" should be sufficient)

o

I am sure that it can come in from the crawl space and that would be much better than an opening into the rest of the house is the closet is to be sealed well. It would be nice if you could wire an interlocked draft device to the water heater like can be done with a furnace or boiler. I don't know if that is possible with a generic tank water heater. Either way, there have got to be established procedures for the intake area. If the climate makes it subject to frosting up, you really do need the safety devices.

o

I believe code prohibits combustible air from being drawn from inside the house and the closet has to be sealed.

IIRC combustible air can be drawn from under the house and the vent must go up through the roof from the closet.

Check local code.

o

Thanks for the replies, I'll check local knowledge.

No freezing possible here, at least in a somewhat protected closet, until the next ice age.

o

Since it's a hallway, louvered door.

o

When I mentioned frosting up, I meant the outside air supply frosting closed not something in the closet freezing. Ducts providing combustion air have been known to become occluded with frost causing CO production. You need to be aware of that and the remedies in a cold climate.

o

How much wider does the closet need to be than the water heater tank, for reasonably easy install/removal? I'm thinking about 3" on each side. I do not want to use more than I need to, as it removes space from my kitchen (and my DW is complaining).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here