Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water heating for detached guest suite/garage new build

Posted by sugiman_in_nyc (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 20:50

Hi,

We are in the process of spec-ing out our project to add a detached garage with a small guest suite/apartment and I'm trying to determine the best strategy for hot water.

Initially it will be an occasional use building, but someday may become a permanent residence for aging parents. It will have a kitchen (sink & dishwasher), bathroom (sink & shower), plus a utility sink & accommodation for a small clothes washer in the garage portion.

My original thought was this would be a good application for a tankless on-demand system, but we were also hoping to do underfloor radiant heating and I understand they don't work well together.

So I'm torn if we should abandon the underfloor heating (or use electric) or switch to a small conventional water heating system.

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water heating for detached guest suite/garage new build

You wouldn't use a potable water tanked heater for underfloor heating anyway. You'd use a boiler. Or a completely separate rigged water heater. The water in a radiant heat system is a closed loop.

For the hot water needs of the dwelling, a tankless would be perfect if it's sized right. The incoming water temperature in winter tells you how much rise you need from a unit. And how many items that you want to operate at once will tell you how many GPM that you need. I've had a tankless for 18 years now, and we are a "serial use" household. No two showers at once. One after the other. Then we can do the laundry or wash the dishes after we get out of the shower. So, our need for high GPM just isn't there. We still need a lot of BTU's though to combat the 40 degree winter water.

You've got to do the math for the size you need, but your situation is the perfect one for a tankless.

o

A condensing high-efficient combi boiler would be in order here.

o

"A condensing high-efficient combi boiler would be in order here."

HI efficiency investment for occasional use?

o

"HI efficiency investment for occasional use?"

"become a permanent residence for aging parents. It will have a kitchen (sink & dishwasher), bathroom (sink & shower), plus a utility sink & accommodation for a small clothes washer in the garage portion."

I would say with the desire of infloor heat, the structure will be built in a freezing climate, it will have fixtures, washing machine, water lines, traps, all that can freeze. And someday could be used a a residence, I wouldn't call it occasional anymore, at least not the domestic water & heating system, it will be needed full time. You may use it occasionally to start, but the heating system can't operate occasionally.

So yes, A compact dual operation hi-efficiency appliance would make great sense.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here