Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tub drain removal - Arrrrgh!

Posted by homebound (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 20:19

I'm dealing with a rusty tub drain circa 1947 in a cast iron tub that was recently refinished. I need to either replace the drain flange (from above) or de-rust and coat it with something to make it shine again. I tried to remove it with a dumbbell (the drain tool for this), but this thing is seized. I even tried to lever it off with the dumbbell and a wrench and hammer, but to no avail.

Any ideas? If I can't get it off, any other options? Can I hit it with naval jelly and coat it with something? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tub drain removal - Arrrrgh!

Time to just live with it.

o

If you have a lever operated waste and overflow, remove this mechanism.
Using a dremel or similar cutting device, I use a sawzall, carefually cut the drain and threads in two places about 1/2" apart. With a screwdriver, pry this section out. When this is done, collapse the remaining section and remove.

o

We're living parallel lives! I posted the same problem last month at the link below. I found out that there is a wrench that will do it, but there was some concern that it might disturb the old plumbing in the walls. I was then told that it could be cut out as mentioned above. The guy at the plumbing supply place kept repeating,"just don't cut into the tub", which didn't do wonders to inspire confidence. I dried it off really well, masked the area, applied some chrome paint, and bought the Flip-it tub stopper(which only leaves a narrow rim showing around the outermost edge).

Except for being taken out when I clean the bathtub, it now lives in that drain forever!

Good luck with yours!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rusty Drain Flange

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here