Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendation on buying or fixing Water Heater

Posted by titi3000 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 20:04

I have posted ealier to ask for help about Water Heater does not working. The water pipe was broken due to frozen, after the Water Heater stopped working.I called the repairman(the one to fixed the broken pipe)come to look at my Water Heater. After checking my Water Heater, he said that the "Gas Burner Control" has stopped working, if replacing he wil charge $200(included parts i guess) but he recommended me changed the whole Water Heater because it's old and it will broke soon(I looked at the Water heater and see that it's 8 year-old and out of warranty, warranty is only 6 years) and the total cost is about $800. Please give me some advices which one i'm going to choose. $800 is too much for me at this time, but $200 then for a year (or less) later, the Water Heater will broke too so I have to replace whole thing again. PLease help me to make these choice. The brand of my Water Heater is "EnviroTemp".
Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendation on buying or fixing Water Heater

If the warranty on your water heater is six years and it's eight years old now, your water heater is on borrowed time -- especially if you haven't done any maintenance (like draining it of sediment once a year). You could spend $200 to fix it now and it could break down some other way next month. Then the problem will be that you have no hot water and you won't have a lot of time to shop around.

It would not hurt to have a couple of other companies give you bids on a new water heater. You may find you can get it done for much less than $800. Or, if the price is too high to pay all at once, ask if you can pay it off over a few months.

o
RE: Recommendation on buying or fixing Water Heater

Replace it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here