Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RO water

Posted by Lorenza5064 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 19:48

Several years ago I installed an RO water system. I think RO water is controversial as it removes everything from the water, good stuff (ie flouride) and bad. I have also heard that it is hard on appliances i.e. coffeemakers as the water is "reactive" in the sense that it leaches ions from metals and wreaks havoc on them over time. SO, I am wondering if I should abandon it when I renovate. Although we condition the water for the household, I have "hard" water as the cold water supplied to the kitchen. What are the best options for water filtration? Please advise I am on Indianapolis Water.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RO water

Already answered on Kitchens forum.

o

Around here water varies between 26-40 gpg hardness so softening is a must to get reasonable service life from appliances and plumbing fixtures. Without (competent) softening water heaters last about two years on that water.

Our fridge with ice maker was installed in 1996 and it has never missed making an ice cube... there's an RO on it.

We use RO water for cooking, drinking and making coffee. I have never had to descale my coffee maker which was purchased in 1996.

RO water has been very good to us.

o

As was discussed in another recent thread, there's consistency in the scientific evidence suggesting that demineralized water shouldn't be consumed. Both because of what winds up in it, and what is taken out (minerals essential for metabolism). I think you've summed up the issues pretty well. Interestingly, one study mentioned in the attached paper found that important nutrients and minerals are leached out of food when such water is used for cooking and preparation.

Everyone can make their own decision, but it's not something I'd ever want in my house. The WHO (in the attached link) advises against it.

Here is a link that might be useful: WHO report

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here