Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Changing shower/tub plumbing fixtures

Posted by dandkmom (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 19:23

We are starting a bathroom remodel soon, but plan to leave the tub and tile surround intact as they are in excellent condition. However I would like to change out the faucet/showerhead. I've been told that the 25 year old plumbing will not fit the size of current fixtures and that work would need to be done inside the wall. Is this true? Does anyone make a converter kit?
Thanks, I really don't want to leave the cheap fixtures.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Changing shower/tub plumbing fixtures

Some pictures of your existing pipes would help. Since the walls will be open, it might be a good idea to update the plumbing depending upon what's there.

o

I guess I wasn't clear, we are not opening the walls around the tub and that is why I was told we could not change the fixtures.

o

The shower head "should" unscrew from a fitting in the wall. Depending upon what you have for a faucet, the trim might be changeable. Same for the spout. Pics would help.

o

I think there is a good chance you will need to replace the valve inside the wall. If the tub/shower is tiled, can you get into the wall from the backside?

i'm in the same boat, and finding we cannot replace our trim without changing the valve as well.

o

Access it from the back side to change things out. And be prepared to be horrified at the water penetration that you find and have to remove the tile and tub anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here