Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Commode Flapper

Posted by tony41 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 19:15

Out of the blue one of my home commodes (2 years old) started trickling water past the flapper into the bowl.

I replaced flapper with new and no change.

Upon investigation have found the flapper is not seating into center of tank drain. It is off ever so slightly. I can manually center the flapper and leak stops.

I don't understand why flapper mysteriously no longer closes on center with tank drain? Flapper attachment on vent pipe hasn't / can't move.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Commode Flapper

Make sure the chain hook is also centered (relative to the flapper hinges). You might have to connect it to a different hole on the flush arm.

BTW, "univeral flappers" are not all that universal. What brand of toilet is it? Which flapper did you use?

This post was edited by homebound on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 21:02

o

Pearless Commode handicap model.

Don't know brand of flapper. Thrown out the package.

o

Sometimes carefully bending the flush lever that lifts the chain so the hole the chain is fastened to is directly above the flapper connection helps. Make sure the bent arm doesnt block the float if it has one, and that you don't break it when bending it.

o

For the flapper to close completely, the chain must be slack when the lever is released. Any tension on the chain holds the flapper off the seat.

o

The correct size 'Korky' brand flapper is very reliable.

You also should run a finger over the flapper seat and make sure it is not nicked or damaged.

If you have any bleach tablets in the tank stop using them.

They are hell on flappers and even plastic hardware.

o

I think the leak is fixed! Replaced flapper with a type that doesn't attach to vent pipe. Has two pieces, bottom attaches to drain outlet with something similar to plumber's putty this bottom part also provides hinge for top piece ie flapper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here