Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub hot water knob sometimes nothing comes out

Posted by ilene-84 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 18:44

My daughter is hoping to go to contract on an apartment, we noticed that sometimes the hot water works fine, but more often faucet just spins and nothing comes out. The owners will not negotiate, and since DD wants the apartment she will deal with it when she is the owner. At worse I told her she will have to break tiles in tub, have it fixed and put new tiles up..,she's fine with that. I'm just wondering what you think is wrong from my description. Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub hot water knob sometimes nothing comes out

If the knob is plastic, it, may just be striped.

"My daughter is hoping to go to contract on an apartment,"

In what country?

Apartments here are "rented" not "owned."

o

Thanks for answering!

The apartment is a co op, size wize it's a small studio in NY. The apartment is not in Manhattan! It's in an apartment building built in the 50's. I'm guessing, but think it's the original faucet, and toilet. The faucet in tub is 3 piece, cold/hot/turn for shower. The toilet has hose that directly goes into the wall, and is very low. She plans on replacing toilet, probably because of me needing a comfort level height. As far as the hot water, initially I really thought there was none in the tub, turned it several times and each time it just would do a 360, when it does turn on the hot waster it acts how I expect a faucet to work, and does have a limit yo how much it will turn.

o

Now I understand.

For the hot water in the tub/shower.
You can sell a dwelling unit as-is, however, you need to have deficiencies memorialized and should be noted in the escrow documents.
Along with a statement that "the dwelling meets the minimum habitability standards as defined by the municipality of record.

It does not, under the laws of habitability, which gives you the legal rite to recover the costs of the repairs too the shower.

Have the contract reviewed by an attny.

As for the toilet, you can install a "rite-height" toilet or there are ADA add-ons which raises the height of the seat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here