Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water softener science.

Posted by liltommy (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 18:20

I'm in the "thinking about getting one" process of getting a water softener. I've read through about the last 30 pages of topics concerning water softeners trying to learn.
I'm starting to see that most of the topics are "what size do I need" and "how to set it up" with a few posters seeming to have most of the answers to the questions.
....Anyways, rather than just pop in here with the results of a water test and get help I'd like to know of any resources that could explain the "why" and the "how" behind the answers.
"How and why does magnese or iron affect operation".
"How do you know whats optimal for the best effeciency".
etc,etc.
Just looking for links to sites or info thats a little bit more technical.

It would probably be over my head and I'd have to ask the same questions that have been asked 100's of times already, but at least I would have tried.

BTW, so far I've found a place to test my water. Hoping to drop a sample off this weekend.

seeya
Tommy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water softener science.

Regarding iron and manganese. A softener is not the best way to remove iron and manganese and should be used for such only if the amounts are small. Every ppm (part per million) of iron or manganese has to be treated as if it were 4-5 gpg (grains per gallon) of hardness. 1 gpg = 17.1 ppm. If you calculate that out, 1 ppm of iron has 68-85 times the impact of 1 ppm of hardness.

Attached you will find a good article about brine efficiency. Start with this and then come back with further questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brining efficiency

o

I just glanced at the 1st couple of paragraphs of the article but yeah, that's what I'm looking for.
I'll read it fully later when I get the chance but one question.
I have found a few other sites that have gone a little technical also.
As far as efficiency goes ( in theory), it WOULD be best to get a system as large as possible (cubic foot wise) but that would lead to rengeration times that are too far apart, and too much time in between regeneration is bad for the resin?

Right?Wrong?Not evan close?

I know, if I finish the article it'll probably answer it.

Thanks

o

Correct. You want your softener to regen every seven days. If you go longer consistently, the bed becomes compacted, which damages the resin beads, leads to channeling and overall poor performance.

You also need to be aware that the lower the salt dosage for regen, the more hardness bleed you get from the softener. A little hardness bleed (a few ppm) you will never notice, but you need to stay within a reasonable salt dosage, For practical purposes, that means no lower than 3 lb salt per cubic foot of resin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here