Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen HW Heater pipes

Posted by youngdeb (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 3, 11 at 17:23

Both my Rinnai HW Heaters have been frozen for 3 days. We're in DFW, and this weather is an every-ten-years kind of event, so we didn't have any issues last year, our first with these HW heaters. Looks like the pipes are frozen inside the walls, and to properly insulate them we're going to have to pull out bricks and apply new insulation.

Before we do that, I thought I'd throw the question out there for you all, what is the best way to insulate these pipes so they don't freeze? Currently all lines into the house have foam wrappers and tape. I can't see the lines in the wall, but I have to assume there's nothing, or they wouldn't have frozen, right? I do know they are PEX pipe, so my plumber couldn't unfreeze them by warming them up from outsidee.

We had one side thawed out and running, and I ran the hot water last night and they still refroze.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen HW Heater pipes

LittleDeb, see a post 3-4 earlier than yours. "Shower valve/Cartridge problem or frozen pipes" One of "homebound's" return post addressed the frozen pipe issue, as does the latter part of my post. Hope this helps out for the interim, until someone posts a better answer for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here