Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unpleasant taste in tap water

Posted by emmi331 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 9, 12 at 16:37

Lately the water coming from my kitchen tap often (not always) has an unpleasant metallic taste to it. Water from all the other faucets tastes fine - what could be going on? I'm not sure whether to call the water dept. or a plumber. Thanks for any advice....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unpleasant taste in tap water

"I'm not sure whether to call the water dept. or a plumber."

If only one fixture is having a problem it's very unlikely to be a water department problem, unless they have recently changed how they treat the water.

Has ANYTHING been change on the kitchen faucet?

o

Nothing has changed on the faucet. I thought it might be the old nozzle (to control water pressure), and removed it for awhile, but that made no difference in the bad taste coming and going. It's really a nuisance: I have to check the taste of the water before using it for cooking. If it's bad, I use water from a tap elsewhere in the house. It's very mysterious.

o

Does the water still have a bad taste even after running it for several seconds to flush out the nearest few feet of plumbing? Does this metallic taste come from both hot and cold taps on the sink? Is your plumbing copper or other type pipes?

o

Thanks, vgkg! I took a few days this week to "experiment", based on your suggestions. Yes, the taste comes out of both taps. It looks like the pipes are at least partially copper. The good news is that when I run the water for a few seconds the bad taste goes away. So I'm glad that's solved, though the reason for all this is still a bit of a mystery!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here