Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Goof plate?

Posted by ladoladi (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 15:36


Several days after installing our kitchen sink cabinet, we had to make an adjustment to our cabinets which required moving the sink cabinet about 2 inches to the left. Because we'd already cut out the back of the cabinet for the water lines and the drain, we now have some very, very odd looking holes around all the plumbing. The holes are far too big to be covered by normal escutcheons.

The plumber (for the bathroom part of the remodel) told us it was no big deal. He said we could just get a "goof plate" to cover "the whole thing."

However, Google searches for "goof plate" and "plumbing" don't really turn up much that is useful. He doesn't know any other name for this thing; it's just what he calls it.

Anyone have any idea what he might be talking about?!


Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Goof plate?

I googled "goof plate" and found all kinds of stuff. Most common usage is in shower valve conversions. Often required to cut out overly-large hole to gain access to the piping behind the tile. The over-size access hole is then covered by the "goof plate". I have two of them in my own house. They look fine.

From your description, not clear about exactly what your situation is but seems as if may be similar application.

RE: Goof plate?

escutcheon, cover plate, flange, smitty plate

RE: Goof plate?


If they are in the cabinet under the sink, I wouldn't be too concerned, unless it is posing a problem, more than just you knowing that the holes exist. Who is going to see it?

The "goof plate" the plumber is referencing is made for showers, and to cover the holes so you can aesthetically position the handles correctly - so not really made for your application.

If in fact that you wanted to cover the holes, hire a woodworker or handy man to make a piece(s) to cover over the holes.

Good luck!

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here