Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible to add sink to laundry room?

Posted by gardenergwen (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 15:28

We have a laundry room that has your standard washer connections with a drain in the wall. As we are turning our thoughts to remodeling this room, we started to wonder if it might be possible to add a sink?

How difficult or costly would it be (with regards to plumbing) to add a sink to this area that currently only has the standard hot/cold and drain connections present?

Thank you!
GG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible to add sink to laundry room?

If your adding it onto the same wall as the washer , yes it is possible and the cost should not be that high. Get a plumber in there and go for it.

o

Thanks! Yes, the sink would be on the same side of the wall as the washer.

o

As another poster noted, adding a sink should be very easy, as long as it's on the same wall as the washer. We're in the middle of a remodel. We asked our contractor to rough in a water and drain line next to the washer. All he had to do was to tap into the existing lines (both drain and water supply). I'd say it took no more than an hour to do the work.

o

It really depends upon how old the house is and what is there now.

years ago a laundry standpipe was a 1-1/2" line..Now the code requires the laundry standpipe to be a 2" line.

If you have a 2" line you could add a sink easily but if you have an older home with a 1-1/2" line the line is already maxed out at 3DFU's(drainage fixture units) so you cannot add any additional load..If its a 2" line that is good for up to 6DFU's. A washing machine is rated at 3DFU's and a laundry sink is rated at 3DFU's so they could be combined on a 2" line.

o

there are 2 ways to do this one way is to cot into the wall just make sure you tie into the plumbing below the existing trap another way is to go through the floor which may be more cost affective

o

I'd love to add a laundry sink in my place and may well do, using the existing connections there, but the stupid builders made no allowance for it, room-wise - I may have to try and find an ultraslim one, or, it's occured to me, if I buy a stainless one, I might be able to get it cut and shut (welded) at a stainless fabrication place - I might be able to shoehorn one 8-10 inches front to back...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here