Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Frozen Well Pipe

Posted by tradertom (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 14:39

Line from well head to house is frozen. Line runs downhill to house and it appears over time ground has washed away to a point where line is no longer below frost line. I can fix that part of the problem in the spring, BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT I CAN DO RIGHT NOW TO DEFROST LINE??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Frozen Well Pipe

Here's something I posted when someone had a frozen drain pipe. If your pipe is metal there could be other solutions using electricity, but get an expert to do that. The following is what I used on frozen water pipe and what the town uses. The town has about 100' of 1/4 pipe on their propane thawer, but you could add another 100' if need be.
If you get it running I would cover it with about 10-12" of straw or hay until you get through the winter. An alternative to digging it up and lowering it in the spring is to relandscape and get it deeper that way.

if you can borrow or rent a steam thawer that might be the way to go. Many small towns in the northern regions have them. It's a tank, filled with water with a propane heater under it. There will be a flexible 1/4' tubing attached. Fire it up, get steam and begin pushing the tubing down from the top or the bottom...whatever you can access. You feel a resistance and then feel the ice melt away the you will be able to push the tubing a little more. You can go through about a foot per minute once it's fired up good.
The last one I used I borrowed from the town's water dept. It's about an $800 gadget.

o

Thanks coolvt, I will look into it. But township depts. are closed till monday (and just about everything else)so I may have to wait till monday to solve this.

o

I had a similar problem recently, and mounted a hair dryer next to the incoming pipe (black Polyethylene?) letting it run for about a half hour and tried the pump every few minutes until it began to draw water through the pipe. I estimate my pipe was frozen within a few (2 or 3) feet of where it enters the building. Until today we've had very little snow this winter and I think the frost has penetrated deeper as a result. Now that the line has been thawed I wrapped a heat tape around it as close as I can get it to the entrance point and leave it running 24 x 7. So far, so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here