Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popeda

Purple pipe glue on acrylic tub

popeda
13 years ago

We are working on DD's house to get it ready to sell. In giving her tub a thorough clean, I noticed a purple drip/stain on her acrylic jet tub.

I asked if they knew what it was because none of my cleaners did squat. They said it was there from day one when they moved into the new house, and they were pretty sure it was where our plumber set down some pipes to dry and got the purple glue on the tub.

That was five years ago. Any suggestions to clean that off?

Comments (2)

• ramona1976
    13 years ago

A lot is going to depend upon how deep the stain has soaked into the plastic. The risk is that any chemical that would lift the stain may also dissolve the acrylic plastic. I would start with lacquer thinner or nail polish remover, then move up to methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK) if that did not work. I would work a very small area with a q-tip, and be ready to stop and rinse at the first sign of the plastic softening.

Another option would be to sand it off with a very fine 1500 to 2000 grit sandpaper. If you didn't have to sand too deeply a good automotive polishing compound and then wax can restore the shine. Otherwise, you may need to refinish it with an acrylic tub repair kit, which you could probably find at a big box store.

• popeda
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I rounded up some nail polish remover and found that my DH had tried WD 40, no help. Then he took some cleaner for the smooth-top stove and LOTS of elbow grease, and got the stains up. Fortunately the stains were small, so if it did affect the finish of the tub, I could not tell.