Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tankless Electric Water Heater Below an Electrical Panel

Posted by tomatobean (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 12:28

I posted this in the electrical forum, but I thought that someone over here might have some input as well...

Is there any reason why I can't/shouldn't install a tankless electric water heater directly under my electrical panel. We are in an old house and we are finishing our utility room into a laundry room and this would be the best location for current plumbing, electrical, and aesthetics. Is there anything prohibiting it in electrical codes or in some piece of common sense I am lacking. All of our electrical connections go through the attic (i.e. no connections beneath the panel.) Thanks for your input.

-Abi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tankless Electric Water Heater Below an Electrical Panel

It's prohibited for one. And for two, to actually run an electric tankless will require most of the power that you currently have in your panel. 125-200 amps are needed. If you live in a cold climate, electrical is not really doable at all because of the incoming winter water temperature. Gas tankless is much easier to retrofit, and even it may require new gas service for the home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here