Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on installing PVC for gas hot water tank vent.

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 12, 12 at 12:23

Hi All,
I'm planning on buying an AO Smith Vertex hot water tank to replace my rental. Since we built the house, the local code has changed and I need to run a CPVC vent instead of the abs that is currently there.

My basement is finished so I need to run the pipe and build a bulkhead around the pipe after. I have a few questions though.

1. Should the pipe be level or should it drain away from the house to allow for any condensation to drain away

2. Is there a minimum distance it needs to be mounted from any walls? I want the bulkhead to be as small as possible.

3. How far apart do the pipe supports need to be?

and lastly whats the best way to seal the brick where the pipe exits? I was thinking of using a low expansion foam then a rubberized caulk on the outside.

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on installing PVC for gas hot water tank vent.

I suppose this "vent" is for the flue gases? How do you know that the existing vent is ABS? Often installation manuals/instructions are online at the manufacturers website. In the title, you post PVC. In the message, you post CPVC. They are not interchangeable for physical size nor for most uses. How do you know which AO Smith specifies?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here