Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Reducing Valve Question

Posted by stitz_crew (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 11:51

Quick questoin on a PRV. I do not know a great amount about them but know that my water pressure is a bit high here and the water comp said it will be going up. Have not had a chance to get a psi number but know it is high enough to create water hammer. House is ran in pex and the main supply is 3/4" pex and has a main water shutoff in garage. The watts prv seem to be pretty good but do not want to buy pex tools to perform 1 job. Are the sharkbite versions anygood and will they work for the main supply without problems.

Also where is the best place to put one. I want it on the main supply before it branches off to wh and rest of the house.

Any help would be appreciated. Please do not leave postings that say call a plumber. Thanks (Go Indiana)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Reducing Valve Question

IMO...

There's a water shut-off at your water meter.

A PRV should be installed after the meter and before the shut-off at the water service entrance in your home. Not a bad idea to add a shut-off before the PRV so it can be easily service if necessary.

Watts products are common and the company has been around since wooden pipes.

IIRC code says house system pressure must be below 80psi.

I wouldn't use shark bites on a water service line. For me it would be a mechanical, soldered, or glued connection depending on the service pipe material. In your case I'd call a plumber who is experienced with PEX and has the proper tools and connectors. An iffy connection in the water service line at street pressure could create quite a mess and leave you with a massive water bill that would far exceed the cost of a plumber to do the job right in the first place.

Real plumbers will be along to address your questions and they know more about the codes than I do.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here