Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stitz_crew

Pressure Reducing Valve Question

stitz_crew
11 years ago

Quick questoin on a PRV. I do not know a great amount about them but know that my water pressure is a bit high here and the water comp said it will be going up. Have not had a chance to get a psi number but know it is high enough to create water hammer. House is ran in pex and the main supply is 3/4" pex and has a main water shutoff in garage. The watts prv seem to be pretty good but do not want to buy pex tools to perform 1 job. Are the sharkbite versions anygood and will they work for the main supply without problems.

Also where is the best place to put one. I want it on the main supply before it branches off to wh and rest of the house.

Any help would be appreciated. Please do not leave postings that say call a plumber. Thanks (Go Indiana)

Comments (5)

• User
    11 years ago

IMO...

There's a water shut-off at your water meter.

A PRV should be installed after the meter and before the shut-off at the water service entrance in your home. Not a bad idea to add a shut-off before the PRV so it can be easily service if necessary.

Watts products are common and the company has been around since wooden pipes.

IIRC code says house system pressure must be below 80psi.

I wouldn't use shark bites on a water service line. For me it would be a mechanical, soldered, or glued connection depending on the service pipe material. In your case I'd call a plumber who is experienced with PEX and has the proper tools and connectors. An iffy connection in the water service line at street pressure could create quite a mess and leave you with a massive water bill that would far exceed the cost of a plumber to do the job right in the first place.

Real plumbers will be along to address your questions and they know more about the codes than I do.

This post was edited by justalurker on Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 12:58

• Vith
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If the house is ran in pex, why would you not want to get the tools needed to perform work on it? Invest in a pipe shears and a cinch clamp tool. Not that expensive. These will allow you to work on any barbed fittings in the future. (revived thread due to finding on google search, probably need a prv myself)

• dirtmechanic
    6 years ago

Ya. Set your pressure to 50. Do not ferget da balloon what keeps da pressure from da wata heta expansion regulated.

Seriously, its a metal tank with a membrane and an air fitting like a tire valve on one side. You will need one.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    6 years ago

stitz_crew:

1.) Get a pressure gauge so you know exactly what you are dealing with. You need one that will record the highest pressure. They make them that screw onto a hose bib. If you need help with that let us know.

2.) Buy or borrow the pex tools. I'm no fan of sharkbite. I wouldn't do what you are proposing on my own plumbing so I'm not going to help you do that.

3.) You will need to install an expansion tank on your water heater unless you have a tankless water heater. The reducing valve will mean that the water expanding in your water heater as it heats won't have anywhere to go without an expansion tank.

If you can't / won't do those three things then you need to call a plumber.

• Jake The Wonderdog
    6 years ago

OMG: How did I miss that this was from 4 years ago?!? I wish that they would close out threads that haven't been commented on in 12 months.