Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How to replace vacuum breaker on

The vacuum breakers on all of my outdoor hose bibbs are leaking. The house is about 19 years old and the manufacturer of the hose bibbs is NIBCO. The water is leaking out at the vacuum breaker (VB), above where the garden hose screws on. So no matter how tightly I screw on the hose or if I put in new washers, it still leaks because the leak is above the hose connection. Please see photos below.

As designed, the set screw was broken off when the vacuum breaker was installed. So the repair is not as easy as simply unscrewing the vacuum breaker and installing a new one. In order to remove the old, leaking VB, you have to remove the set screw. I have researched and read numerous forums and watched a few videos, too. It looks like there are two ways to repair: carefully cut out the set screw and remove the vacuum breaker or replace the whole hose bibb.

My question is whether it will be easier to buy a dremel and use a cutting wheel to cut out the set screw or replace the whole hose bibb. If I were to replace the whole hose bibb, I have no idea what hides behind the two screws holding on that hose bibb flange/collar. What would be in store for me there? Could the bibb replacement be as simple as turning the water off to the house, unscrewing the old one and screwing on a new one? Could I get that lucky?! I am pretty handy and do lots of DIY projects, but I do not (yet) own a dremel nor to I know how to weld.

As additional information, I live in Jacksonville, Florida where freezing is rarely an issue. Also, either way, I will definitely install a new VB as a safety measure.

Below are the photos. Thanks so much in advance for your help!

Carol

{{gwi:2012404}}

{{gwi:2012405}}

{{gwi:2012406}}

{{gwi:2012407}}

{{gwi:2012408}}

{{gwi:2012409}}

{{gwi:2012410}}

{{gwi:2012411}}

{{gwi:2012413}}

{{gwi:2012415}}

{{gwi:2012417}}

{{gwi:2012419}}

{{gwi:2012420}}

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 11:43

Comments (2)

• klem1
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would say the odds of the facuet being screwed on/in a threaded fitting is about 1 in 1,000,the other 999 times it will be soldered to the pipe if you have copper plumbing. If you have pvc or plastic tube,it almost certainly unscrews. Look at water heater,under sinks and other places rough plumbing is exposed. Only way to know for certain without removing siding is peek-a-boo hole in siding. Have you tried to take the vb apart using 2 pipe wrenches ? Regarding the use of a dremel,I would attempt to slot the screw to recieve a screwdriver first. This might be an excuse to buy a disk angle grinder. They are inexpensive and will make short work of cutting the vb. Don't you hope the idiot that dreamed up an ordinice requiring the screws be broke has the same problem.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You might be able to drill out the set screw. I'd use a bit that is slightly larger than the screw.