Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom_shelton

kitchen sink on outside wall

Tom Shelton
10 years ago

Playing with kitchen layouts and want to try 36' range with 42 hood on the interior wall and the sink and fridge on the wall shared by the garage. GC against that layout because venting range is more difficult but doable (Bedroom is above kitchen) and his main reason is that kitchen pipes will be on an outside wall (shared by garage). The house is in Virginia. Is this layout asking for trouble and should I just sitck with range on the garage wall instead.

Comments (6)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Where the sink and range best be located is information I could have an opinion on only after inspecting the home.
    My advise is do yourself and the GC a favor by hireing a GC you are able to comunicate with before going any farther. Not saying which of you is being unreceptive because it matters not. If the GC has given you the pros and cons,it's up to you to choose which you want. If you don't agree with wisdom offered by the GC,it will not get better when the project reaches the point of no return. A secound option would be use free advice on the web then hire all the subs yourself and skip the GC alltogeather.

• jakethewonderdog
    10 years ago

I take it that the concern of the pipes on the outside wall is freezing... It really shouldn't be an issue if you take some care.

Make sure that there is insulation between the outside wall and the pipes (I like to use rigid insulation foam panels like R-Max). Be sure that the pipes are as close as possible to the drywall and not against the back of the wall.

Given the geographic location,and the fact that it's on a wall shared with the garage, I'd say your freezing potential is low. Properly insulated and it's nil.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The price you pay will be determined by your selections. the aesthetics are what makes the most sense, funtionaly, to you.

• d.dee
    10 years ago

i think jake is right

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    10 years ago

l also live in Virginia (Alexandria) and if the pipes on the outside wall are your only concern, that should be easy to work with. We just pulled out our old kitchen sink on the outside wall and the pipes had been there with no insulation since 1940. Having a brick exterior and thick plaster interior walls may have been a factor, but there is no evidence the supply pipes ever froze.

The contractor has convinced me to run the water supply pipes up from the basement and keep them within the cabinet this time just to be safe. However, the sink drain will still be inside the exterior wall.

Bruce

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

So very many houses have a window over the kitchen sink. It's pretty much a cliché. I thought that was mostly standard (so you'd have something to look at while you were doing all those dishes).

Is it that freezing in Virginia? I'd think you could insulate that section.

Maybe look around at your neighbors' houses and see how many sinks are on the outside wall.