Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucet hose and galvanic corrosion

Posted by mcburton (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 14, 11 at 11:00

I have installed new sink faucets which have a copper connector leading into the valves and I have PB flexible water piping in my home with a 3/8" OD threaded valve connector. If I use a stainless steel braded hose (like this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_195292-73838-U261_0__?productId=3132125&Ntt=faucet+hose&pl=1¤tURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dfaucet%2Bhose%26page%3D2) to connect the water supply to the copper faucet valve lines, will this result in galvanic corrosion to the copper tubes on the faucet? Should I instead get some copper and make my own connection hose/tube? I suspect these hoses are actually lined internally with some rubber or plastic material and that the water passing through is actually not in contact with the stainless steel, but I am not sure.

Thanks!

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucet hose and galvanic corrosion

As long as the actual metal is not touching, you will not see galvanic corrosion. Use teflon tape in the threads and make your connection.

o

"Use teflon tape in the threads and make your connection."

Most of the hose connections are compression connectors and no tape is required (and it should not be used).

The rubber seal is in the end of the hose and the threads are mechanical and not tapered.

o

mcburton,

Just a note... the hose you posted the URL to is NOT a braided stainless steel hose.

It is a cheap hose with plastic braid in a clear vinyl case. It is no more reliable than the junk hoses you find all around it just looks like it is and the $5 price is the clue.

Shop around and find quality stainless steel braided hoses. It's worth the trouble cause you'll do it once and never bother with them again.

o

I think it's plastic hose wrapped in stainless steel braid. It should be fine (without worry about corrosion).

o

There is no steel of any kind in those Lowes $5 hoses. I've had a few blow and disassembled them. The braid was nylon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here