Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
water pressure

Posted by orgnova (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 10:37

Hope someone can help. The water pressure is fine for a short time then drops down to about 2/3 the pressure. I have changed the pressure valve 3 times now. The pressure at the valve is 50 psi. Pressure outside the house over 100. What would cause the pressure to drop?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water pressure

A bit more info would be helpful. What is your water source, municipal, well, cistern for example? Where do you read 100 psi? I have never heard of water pressures for residential this high, ever. Please explain what and where is this "pressure valve" you have changed 3 times.

o

I have 120 psi into my house and then it goes to a pressure regulator to drop it down to 60 psi, which is plenty.

o

the water source is municipal. the pressure is over 100 psi is before the regulator valve which drops it down to 50-55 psi. the regulator has been changed 3 times. i cannot find out why the pressure drops after a minute or two after turning on a faucet/shower. thanks for the responses so far.

o

Pressure reducing valve. When you replaced it, did you get one with the same rated flow? Can I safely assume that this is a PRV inside your house and not outside on or near the meter?

If it's anything like the Watts I have, you can adjust the pressure via the screw on the top upwards a bit. Say like 60psi.

o

I think you are on right track

o

Sounds like an undersized PRV.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here