Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen sink Removal

Posted by mucky (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 9:46

I am remodeling my mother's kitchen and there is a Franke stainless steel sink on top of a tile counter top. There are some strange (to me) sink mounting clips that have a round slotted barrel at the bottom with a plastic " plug" insert. Does anyone have any idea what this is or how to remove them?
Hopefully this is the right forum in which to post this question...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen sink Removal

You should be able to use a screwdriver to loosen the clips, then rotate the clip arms so they no longer "grab" the countertop. Then pull the sink upwards and off the countertop.

Sealant is usually applied between the rim of the sink and the countertop, making it difficult to release the rim of the sink off the counter. How much and what type of sealant depends on the model and age of the sink and the installer.

o

once you get the clips out of the way, a good means to break the sink loose of the countertop is to place a car jack under the sink and sloooooooooooooooooooowly start putting pressure on it. If you are lucky, the old sealant will let go and the sink will pop out.

o

"sloooooooooooooooooooowly start putting pressure on it"

If you try this use some 2x lumber to spread the jack force on the bottom of the sink.

Cutting the sealer (putty knives, old paring knife, razor blades) is usually adequate.

o

Thanks for the replies, but there is no screw or arm on these clips; they look like springs, that's why I was asking about removal - thought they might be some specialized Euro thingy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here