Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whis is Better: 1.28 or 1.6 Flush Toilets

Posted by chipster_2007 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 9:31

I need to get a new toilet and was wondering are the newer 1.28 flush toilets as good as the 1.6 toilets? I have heard they are still having some unnamed "problems". They also have the dual flush systems now and was interested in any info/experience people have had with them. I am interested in getting a toto. Does anyone have any experience with the super slick finishes they are using on some of the toilets to minimize cleaning? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whis is Better: 1.28 or 1.6 Flush Toilets

I have a Toto. It is a little more difficult to install(when on concrete or tile) I still say if you can afford the toto, buy it. We can flush solids with the .9 gal flush. No splashing when men go standing. If you have young boys, buy the "slow down" seat and lid.

o

If you have a large household (and thus, many flushes per day), or if you live some place where conserving water is a major priority because of drought conditions or because water or sewage rates (based on water usage) are a major concern, then it makes sense to go with the most water conserving appliances that you can find. Otherwise choose a standard 1.6 gallon flush toilet, or if you want to be eco-minded, a dual-flush toilet.

Otherwise, the premium you'll pay for the lower volume flush units probably doesn't make sense. Is one better than the other? I don't know. Off-hand, I'd say that a toilet using less water would be the better choice, but the 1.6 gallon units now have a reputation for working well. The reputation of the 1.28 gallon units is less well-proven. If you're very much inclined toward saving resources, it might make sense to go with a dual-flush unit. That way, you can be the judge and decide which works best on a flush-by-flush basis.

o

Look at the CUWCC MaP testing results. Use that as a guide in making your decision. IIRC, the Toto Aquia did better than some of their Eco models. Go for specifics (model and results), not generalizations (1.28 vs. 1.6?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here