Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
thermostat and volume for tub shower

Posted by dms1973 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 8:01

I'm redoing a tub shower and I'd like to set it up where there is a single thermostat and then a volume control for pressure. I'm going to have a shower head, tub faucet and hand held. Is it possible to set this up with 1 thermostat, 1 volume and some sort of 3 way diverter? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: thermostat and volume for tub shower

Not sure if this is an answer to your question... but tankless heaters often have remote temp controls... as in you set your heater temp at the bathroom remote to 105 and just run hot water in the shower or tub.

o

"Is it possible to set this up with 1 thermostat, 1 volume and some sort of 3 way diverter? !"

Yes. A shower valve and a diverter that handles three outputs separately.

You're talking about a shower valve with two controls, one for temp and one for pressure . Some are the old style one arm where you twist for temp and the handle pivots up and down for pressure. Others have two handles on the unit (this is what I have).

On some of the units with two handles, the second is a built in diverter, not a pressure or temp. control. Shop carefully.

o

An alternative would be a thermostat and just three separate volume controls, one for each head. That's what we have.

o

Have a look at the Grohe 19825. This is a single unit with one lever for the temperature and one lever for the tub/shower.
You push the lever in one direct for the tub and the other direction for the shower. This also eliminates the need fro a diverter on the tub spout.

I installed it a year ago and have been perfectly happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here