Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to convert tub spout mounting style?

Posted by californiaplaya (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 7:01

I am changing my tub/shower trim on my Price Pfister 0x9 valve. I consulted PP about what style trim kits would work with this. They said any kit model number that begins with R89. So, I got one, but the current tub spout is a slip-fit on copper pipe. The one that came with the trim kit is front-end threaded. So, how would I go about converting this to make the new spout fit. There is no access panel to get to the valve, and I'm not going to install one at this time. PP says all their trim kits come with the front-end threaded style spout, so I need to be able to get this to work. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to convert tub spout mounting style?

Maybe there's a more elegant solution, but I would think a plumber could sweat on a female adaptor, and then use a brass nipple of the proper length for the rest. The trick is to get it to the exact length when done, so I'd suggest getting a plumber. I would buy the adaptor and nipple beforehand, in case there's not one on the truck.

o

You could try getting a sharkbite fitting. This would slip over your copper pipe on one end. They have couplings with male or female threads on the other end, which could go into your new tub spout thread (which is an internal or female thread?) It's a DIY type solution but it would probably work. You might have to shorten your copper tube with a tubing cutter so the trim would fit properly. These fittings are available at any hardware supply place.

o

Thanks for the responses. Figured this one out over the weekend after doing some searching around. I initially thought about going the Sharkbite route. This would have made things simple as I don't have any equipment to sweat (torch, flux, solder, etc.). However, Sharkbite fittings and every other quick connect I was able to find allow the pipe to freely spin. This wouldn't have worked as I would have to screw the tub spout on. So, I went the soldering route. Bought the gear I needed, along with a threaded male end, coupler and a couple feet of copper pipe. First time I've soldered copper. It doesn't look pretty, but it worked. I'd definitely need to practice some more if I was going for looks.

Thanks again!

o

Which is better, NPT mount with threads or slip fit mounting to copper tubing for tub spout?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here