Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magic_scott

Hot Water Recirc Operation

magic
10 years ago

Hi All:

For those that have a hot water recirc system, how it is activated/operated? Do you wish it was activated/operated in a different way and why? Please be specific. i.e. On demand operated, via momentary switch in kitchen next to blah blah blah.

Any additional comments/suggestions are welcome.

Comments (6)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The conventional method is to plumb to all points of use and recirq. vie a timer, set for the occasions of use, governed by life style.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

Go to www.gothotwater.com and spend some time. Metlund makes the best recirc system in the business. The conventional method of operating on a timer or heaven forbid an aqua stat will operate even when there is no call.

You have to analyze your hot water piping to determine the best lay-out of recirc for your home. One size does not fit all.

• pima74
    10 years ago

Our recirc pump has a built in timer that can be set to turn it on and off at selected times during a 24 hr period. OK if you live by a set schedule (take shower and wash dishes/cloths, etc at same times every day.)

Since we don't, I decided to control it as needed by using X-10 devices. I set the pump to be on all the time. The pump is plugged into an X-10 appliance module which in turn is plugged into the pump's electrical outlet. In the kitchen and master bath, we have X-10 controllers that we use to turn the pump on and off as needed. The down side is that one has to wait for the hot water to make it to the kitchen, etc. I've timed it so I know that it takes 5.5 minutes for the kitchen and 1 minute for the master bath and wash room. I also have times for the back bathroom and hall powder room.

X-10 is fairly inexpensive but has some reliability issues. Other technologies to accomplish the same thing are: Insteon, Z-Wave, UPB and another or two. They are generally more expensive than X-10.

A bit of internet searching will give you a lot of info and sources. As a start check out the Smarthome site (link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Smarthome web site

• magic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

I think I'll go for a button and timer activated.

• watts1776
    10 years ago

I bought a remote control outlet, much like used to remotely control Christmas lights. The unit is about 6 inches long with a 120v plug at one end and a small box with a 120v socket on the other end. The remote controller can operate up to 80 feet away, so I hang it on my refrigerator with a magnet. The outlet is in my garage where the water heater and circulator pump is located. I plugged a three way outlet into the controlled outlet and plugged the pump into one of the three and a nightlight into one of the other outlets. When I push the ON button the pump starts and the night light lets me know that the pump is on. Works great!

• pima74
    10 years ago

I started out with the setup watts1776 describes. I had to switch to x-10 because on an intermittent basis it interfered with the garage door opener operation. The light receiver was located within 10 feet or so of the opener. Sometimes when trying to open the door using the car remote, the door would not open. After a bit of internet research, I found that others had the same problem with the Christmas light controller. The door opener remote and the light receiving unit operate on a radio frequency. The light receiver apparently does some transmitting of its own that interferes with the door opener (Liftmaster). Doesn't sound logical but when I removed the light opener set up, I had no problems. Also I use the light controller in the back yard to control a bug light and it causes no problems with the door opener (probably due to distance) May depend on the brand of light controller. X-10 send it's signal over the power lines, by the way.

I also have the night light set up on the x-10 appliance controller.