Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela95014

recommendation for a good water filter

angela95014
17 years ago

If you have a recommendation for a good water filter (i.e. drinking water at the kitchen sink) please kindly share your info with me. We had reverse osmosis systems in the past but they seemed to leak easily. We'd like to have a stainless steel faucet if possible. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• dgo1223
    17 years ago

Good timing, I was about to post the same question! I am especially interested in the GE Merlin Reverse Osmosis one.

• User
    17 years ago

angela - It depends entirely on what you are trying to remove from your water. If you can be more specific, I can make recommendations. Your past RO systems - did you install yourself of have someone else do it? Where did they leak. I've had RO for 10 years and never had a leak.

dgo - the GE Merlin RO is a fine system if you are interested in general water filtration. Because of the way it is designed, it won't remove as much as a more traditional RO system, but is fine for home use and works quite well for its intended purpose.

• andy_c
    17 years ago

As for the Merlin RO, I have never used one but have done some research and found it to be a very adequate RO. The membranes (2) are nearly twice as large as standard membranes and produce up 1/2 gallon per minute without a holding tank.

It is not a 'general' water filtration device; it is an official Reverse Osmosis unit by definition, design, and function.

The TDS rejection rate is excellent.

Angela95014, RO should not leak if they are mounted correctly and not abused or neglected. Stick with an RO for best water quality at most affordable price.

Andy Christensen

• User
    17 years ago

Andy - I didn't intend to imply that it wasn't on RO. Sorry for the confusion.

• gblentz
    17 years ago

At the risk of sounding like advertising, we bought a five-stage RO system several years ago from Air, Water, & Ice -- great price, works great, never had a leak (and it has a stainless faucet).

They even offer systems with DI (deionization) filters for zero TDS water, and UV sterilization kits... not usually necessary for drinking water, but just to give an idea of how nuts you can go. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Air, Water, & Ice Inc.

• User
    17 years ago

Their prices do look pretty good. I didn't check out shipping though.

• dgo1223
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info folks. Someone gave me this recommendation; can you guys look at it and give me your opinion? To my limited knowledge, it seems like a good system, with a lot of information given, and price looks decent.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.h2ro.com/

• User
    17 years ago

They use Filmtec membranes which are very good. However, I disagree with them on how often the two prefilters (sediment and carbon)should be changed. Six months is best; 12 months is pushing your luck, and the 3 years they suggest is just flat a problem. Those filters can turn into bacterial breeding grounds. The RO filter will actually remove bacteria, BUT bacteria will form a slime on the RO membrane, severely reducing it's life and can eat through the membrane also. Just not a good situation to get into, particularly when it's so easily preventable.

They are using standard filter sizes, which is good -- you won't be tied into buying expensive proprietary filters. Looks like a good system,

• gblentz
    17 years ago

dgo:

"The total price for our H2RO System is $299."

IMHO, they are charging way too much... and that for a unit with only two pre-filters. I also don't find the quality and completeness of their website (broken links, incomplete pages, etc.) very reassuring.

To their credit they DO use FilmTec membranes. But, overall, I honestly don't feel the system is at all a good value. Also, I don't agree with their recommended time between filter changes (seems like it may just be a ploy to make their system appear more competitive, dollar-wise). Expect to change your pre-filters every year or thereabouts.

• dgo1223
    17 years ago

IMHO, they are charging way too much... and that for a unit with only two pre-filters. I also don't find the quality and completeness of their website (broken links, incomplete pages, etc.) very reassuring.

"To their credit they DO use FilmTec membranes. But, overall, I honestly don't feel the system is at all a good value. Also, I don't agree with their recommended time between filter changes (seems like it may just be a ploy to make their system appear more competitive, dollar-wise). Expect to change your pre-filters every year or thereabouts."

gblenz; I also wondered about the filter changing times, it seemed a little long between times! And the website seemed a little unprofessional to me. I did like the pictures and explanations, though.

The GE Merlin is about $400.

• johnlvs2run
    14 years ago

I'm interested in Katrin's comments on the scalewatcher.
    Are you still getting the great results like before?

I had an aquasafe 5 stage RO unit for the last 4 years that I got from ebay for $132. It was a good unit, but they are now out of business due to some internal issue with the company. The system gave me a 96 percent tds reduction from the tap water for 4 years, which I consider quite excellent.

The tds went way up last week and the unit was getting older so I ordered a new 5 stage RO system, this time from filterdirect on ebay for $137 (plus calif tax). It was delivered in 36 hours and the water is good quality. I don't have exact figures yet as it's still flushing out the first couple of weeks, but it's a good system, the water is fresh and the connections are better than the aquasafe. This is my 3rd or 4th RO system.

• User
    13 years ago

It's amusing to read about el cheapo RO experiences where they last 2, 3, or 4 years then have a problem and get replaced. The owners proudly proclaim "This is my 3rd or 4th RO system" and are proud that they spent $140 four times over a four or six year period. Or the horror stories when the homeowner gets home and finds their el cheapo, no name, pacific rim RO split a filter canister or an imitation John Guest or JACO fitting popped and flooded the room. How'd that $140 RO look to the homeowner now?

I bought a quality RO in 1995 (for more than $140) assembled from top quality NAME BRAND components (made in the USA) and it's still operating PERFECTLY. It ONLY has two pre-filters, although people who know little to nothing about ROs think three pre-filters are superior, and they have been changed religiously every year while the final (polishing) filter has been changed every two years. I'm on my third membrane and I'm still getting a 96% rejection rate with water that has about 600 TDS.

People should exercise some common sense when shopping for appliances that can cause tens of thousands of dollars of damage when they fail... especially inexpensive appliances.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is gone