Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What material is best to fix the leak in the pipe joints?

Posted by coody (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 0:31

Hi! My furnace exhaust pipe has a small leakage in the pipe joints in my attic when raining. See the picture here. What material is best to fix the leak in the pipe joints?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What material is best to fix the leak in the pipe joints?

There is a pipe cement made for galvanized line and duct work. I would be concerned and address where and how that water is leaking in, if you seal the joint all the water is going into your furnace, not good at all.

o

Is the furnace exhaust pipe supposed no ANY water inside of the pipe at the time of raining? Is it possible the wind-driven rain or condensation may cause a little water inside of the furnace exhaust pipe that goes through the roof?

o

I cannot recall ever seeing a furnace stack that ran straight line directly into a furnace vertically.

A common method is to end the stack with a capped and then have the smaller furnace flue enter the stack a few inches aboe the flue bottom.

Any rain that makes it down than accumulates on bottom cover of the flue and evaporate away.

The same goes with masonry chimneys.
The furnace enters from the side above the bottom of the flue.
Water just keeps going.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here