Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting my first water softener!

Posted by jkats (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 16, 13 at 0:13

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to purchase my first water softener, and all my googling seems to keep leading me back to this place - seems to be the place to be if you want the real scoop on softeners! I've done a lot of research so I think I have a good idea of what I need, but I'd like to be sure. Hoping someone can confirm my plans, or tell me I'm way off base and provide some recommendations.

Here's my details:
- 2 bathroom house
- no jacuzzi or anything like that, only a dishwasher and a washing machine
- 4 people
- max flow rate seems to be outdoor hose @ ~12gpm
- 3/4" plumbing

Now for my water. This data comes from a Quality Report done by the city. There are 6 water sources that combine, and the data is provided as ranges, so I took the weighted averages of all the sources.

- hardness: 14.6-28.8 gpg (avg 22.7 gpg)
- iron: 0
- manganese: .0045 ppm
- not sure how to average pH, so here's the weighted data of each water source to give you an idea:
---- (38%) 8.2
---- (1.6%) 8.3
---- (0.4%) 8.0
---- (20%) -
---- (25%) 8.22
---- (15%) 8.14

Regarding the hardness, it's a really wide range, so I wasn't sure what to base my sizing on. I called the city water dept. and the girl I talked to said to use 21 gpg, but I take that with a grain of salt (no pun intended). I also wasn't sure how many "gallons/day per person" to use because my water bill over the past few months calculates to between 100 and 133 g/d per person. I don't know how much of that to write off for garden watering, etc., but that number is way over the 75 g/d that seems to the accepted standard. In any case, here are calculations I came up with if I stick w/ the 75 g/d standard:

assuming average of the hardness range:
4people x 75gal x 23gpg x 7 days = 48,300 grains to be removed per week

assuming max hardness:
4peeps x 75gal x 29gpg x 7 days = 60,900

If I assume the first calculation, I probably need 2.5 cubic ft of resin.
If I assume the latter, I probably need 3.0 cubic ft. (btw, I noticed Ohio Pure Water doesn't list 3.0 as an option - do they offer "made to order" systems?).

I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations on my scenario. I'd also be interested in anyone's advice on whether to go w/ the fleck 7000SXT or the 2510SXT, and also whether the vortech tank is preferable or not.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting my first water softener!

Go with the 2.5 cuft softener. Even if your city uses the worst well for an extended period of time, you would regen every 6 days if you reset the softener for that occurrence.

I do not recommend a vortech tank. It simply adds one more piece of equipment that increases your expense while reducing reliability. They are a great deal for the softener sellers, however, as they cost more but are cheaper to ship than a gravel underbed that serves the same purpose and does it very well.

I would go with the Fleck 7000sxt. It has proven to be very reliable and is a bit less expensive than the 2510sxt.

o
RE: Getting my first water softener!

Thanks aliceinwonderland - I will follow your advice. btw, I appreciate the pages and pages of advice you've provided to the countless readers of this forum - I cannot begin to tell you how much I've been able to learn in a short amount of time, thanks to you. I'm actually helping several relatives get water softeners as well. I "wow" them with my knowledge of the science of softeners - they all think I'm a genius! If only they knew...

Anyways, I would venture to guess that you've collectively saved the readers of this forum hundreds of thousands of dollars, and years of headaches. So from one appreciative reader - thank you for donating your invaluable knowledge and experience to this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here