Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy_grrl

Durability of pull-out faucets? Help!

happy_grrl
10 years ago

Could someone please enlighten me about how durable the single handle pullout kitchen faucets are?

DH & I are debating this. I love the look...but he has a point...How well do they hold up? Or should we just get a single faucet with a side-spray? (Although I am leery of those, as they never seem to have good pressure!)

Any insight/advice would be great.

Comments (8)

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

Aside from a new 0-ring now and then I haven't had a failure in >20 years of use on a couple models from different makers. The flex hose is easily replaceable if you have an issue.

• happy_grrl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm considering a Moen or a Delta. Thoughts?

• User
    10 years ago

Look at the rocker that switches to spray. If it has a rubber cover over it, avoid it. They fail quickly, especially if your sink is in front of a window, and you can't replace just the cover. The hard plastic rockers are fine. Durability on everything is great.

• Elmer J Fudd
    10 years ago

Hmm, I guess everyone has different experiences.

I have two Grohe faucets with pullouts, they're the same model and were installed 13 years ago. The spray switches have a rubber cover.

One is used much more than the other, and it's right under a south facing window. The faucet gets direct sunlight for much of the year. Both operate just fine.

edit for ps:

Haven't had to replace either hose.

This post was edited by snidely on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 20:49

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I prefer the stainless hoses. I also think the ones that use a spring to retract the spray head are noisy. Mine uses a counterweight.

I think a side sprayer would be less reliable. But either are replaceable.

• talley_sue_nyc
    10 years ago

I redid my kitchen w/ a Kohler pullout faucet about 8 years ago. I've never had to mess with it.

I've seen sidesprays that seem vulnerable to me.

Also--in terms of easy of use: the stainless hoses aren't as flexible as the plastic ones on most sidesprays--but I've discovered that it's far more convenient on my pullOUT faucet (not a pullDOWN) to hold the sprayhead "upside down."

let's see if I can describe this without a picture.

So I reach my hand straight out and grab the spray head. The base of my palm then becomes the aiming mechanism for the spray.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Moen and Delta are both good choices. Of the two, Moen may have a slight edge on the durability of spray heads. Usually what kills spray heads is lime and mineral built up. Soak the head in vinegar twice a year to remove buildup.

The risk with a pull-out spray is that the spray is also the spout, so if the hose does detach or spring a leak, you are out of business until the leak is fixed. With a side spray faucet, a leaking hose is just a minor nuisance since the spray can be turned off and you sill have water through the spout.

That said, most hoses are very durable now, and well attached, so failures are rare, unlike 15 years ago. Go for a stainless hose sheath if you have a choice.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

I just put in a Grohe faucet with sidespray. In my old faucet, some water would still leak out the faucet when I used the side spray (so less water at the spray). Now, all the water comes out the side spray, and I could probably spray water across the room if I tried.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor