Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do the wax rings on my toilets need to be replaced?

Posted by lydia1959 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 16, 09 at 22:44

Once (at 2 different times)in the past couple months each of my 2 upstairs toilets had water stains around the bases. I cleaned it up and there have been no more stains. If the wax rings were bad wouldn't I have continuing stains?? My husband didn't see any leaking when he checked from the basement. Could it just have been a clog in the plumbing that cleared itself?
The one toilet was replaced about 8 years ago and the other is 15 years old.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do the wax rings on my toilets need to be replaced?

Since it seems to have been one-off events, chances are, someone just "aimed" badly while standing at the toilet. I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Wax rings don't typically wear out. As long as you don't disturb them, they're good for the duration.

o

I thought I had this same problem once, but it turned out to be occasional condensation on the cold ceramic bowl....

o

Keep an eye on it. I have seen the rings leak on certain times and not others. Like if a large deposit has been made causing the water to drain slowly.

o

Second issue - my toilet is rocking back and forth...do we need to reset it with a new wax ring?

o

Yes, but first find out why it is rocking. If it is simply loose, tighten it down with a new wax ring. If it is rocking because the pipe flange is too high then the flange has to be reduced to allow the toilet to sit on the floor.

o

as hendricus has said, tighten it up, if thefloor is not leval and it still rocks, i have used plaster of paris
to 'caulk' around the base of the toilet
when it hardens the rock will go away. it will also
not stick to the tile and ruin it as grout will do
BUT...do this ONLY if the toilet is not leaking

o

Thanks for the answers to the original question. I don't think it was a "aiming" issue, but the other 2 ideas could be right. I will keep an eye on it for now.

o

There are some water closet that have a weep hole under the bowl. When they make water closets they just kind of plug this, sometimes they leak, also if your wc rocks check the bolts to the tank. When you install a wc you should shim the back as needed, never the front.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here